Closing 2023 with gratitude for all the projects and collaborations that allowed me to share and develop my creative vision. Here's a throwback to the year:
- Artisanal Fragments, one-of-a-kind bespoke designs that re-purposes fabric remnants and used garments.
- April: Month-long pop-up shop at The Seedling Collective in Old Town Alexandria.
- May: Design collaboration with Singapore-Vancouver-based actress, Kheng Hua, and her daughter, Shi An. 10% of sales proceeds were donated to Babes, an organization that provides support and resources for teenage pregnancy.
- June: Trunk Show at Peti Boutique in Seattle. It was so nice to reconnect with Seattle customers as well as the PNW hiking trails. ;) Ah -- for so many sentimental reasons, I have never gotten round to sharing my experiences of moving from Seattle to Washington, D.C. (I'll be back, Seattle!)
- August: Week-long pop-up shop in Nolita, New York City.
- October: Release of the Magnolia Print, a digitized, embroidered pattern inspired by cyanotype printing.
- November: A.Oei Studio has found a new home at the Torpedo Factory in Old Town Alexandria. A dedicated space with a waterfront view in a building filled with other creative makers. Open to walk-ins, open to so many new possibilities.
To be honest, 2023 has felt very overwhelming. From the challenges of finding an affordable and accessible studio, the limitations of an independent creative culture in the DMV, and a sluggish retail environment, I have made some careless business decisions and lost my focus a little bit.
Having found a new atelier, my main goals for 2024 are to develop designs on a more consistent level, enhance the bespoke production workflow, and improve the communication of products and processes. Thank you for following this journey. I sincerely value your feedback and support. And I hope to continue sharing and collaborating on more meaningful and durable interpretations of fashion -- as a craft, a form of self-expression, and as a platform that connects us to social, cultural and environmental topics.